1 Angel Square – The Co-operative Group Head Office
1 Angel Square is The Co-op’s head office and support centre in Manchester.
When Her Majesty The Queen officially opened 1 Angel Square in November 2013, it was declared the most environmentally-friendly building in the world. The Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM), an internationally acclaimed system of assessing buildings, gave 1 Angel Square a score of 95.16% - the highest ever awarded.
Take a tour
Take a virtual walk around 1 Angel Square using Google Business View.
View Google Business View in full screen
About the building
The building’s many environmentally friendly features include:
- 1 Angel Square has its own source of heat and power generation which means the building can give power back to the national grid
- Heat recovery from the IT systems that will also help to heat the building
- Low energy LED lighting and IT equipment
- A twin skin façade that acts as a ‘duvet’ to insulate the offices in the winter and ventilate it in the summer
- A soaring atrium that generates light by flooding the building with natural sunlight, reducing the artificial lighting by almost half
- Rainwater recycling systems for toilet flushing and irrigation
- A flexible working policy was introduced, which includes the option to work remotely (which both reduces the amount of desk space needed and has a positive environmental impact due to reduced travel requirements), whilst a digital storage policy reduced the amount of paper the business used. If the Group had continued using the same amount of paper after moving in to 1 Angel Square as it did previously, an additional four stories would need to be added to the building for storage alone. As a result there is also no longer paper mail delivered to the building
1 Angel Square is phase one of NOMA, a 50/50 partnership between The Co-op and Hermes Real Estate which over the next 10 years will create a 20 acres mixed-use district in the heart of Manchester. Find out more about NOMA.