The Co-operative Banking Group
We are the financial services arm of The Co-operative Group and our businesses include The Co-operative Insurance, The Co-operative Bank, Britannia and the internet bank smile.
We are the only high street bank that clearly tells its customers what it does with their money while it is in the Bank.
We offer a range of banking and insurance services to personal and business customers.
The Co-operative Bank
The Co operative Bank is the only UK high street bank with a clear Ethical Policy that is based on the views of its customers. The Policy sets out the businesses that the Bank will and will not provide banking services and investment its customers’ money in.
The Co operative Bank offers a wide range of banking products from mortgages and loans to current accounts, credit cards and saving products. It is also consistently rated highly in independent surveys for excellent customer service and has won many recent awards for a variety of products.
The Co-operative Bank is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (No. 121885), subscribes to the Lending Code and the Financial Ombudsman Service and is licensed by the Office of Fair Trading (No. 006110).
The Co-operative Bank p.l.c., (990937) P.O. Box 101, 1 Balloon Street, Manchester, M60 4EP
The Co-operative Insurance
We are the only co-operative insurance company in the United Kingdom. We offer home, motor and pet insurance products and provide policies to around 1.4 million customers. We were the first major insurer to introduce a telematics product to help lower the cost of insurance for young drivers.
Smile is part of The Co-operative Bank and when launched in 1999 was the UK’s first full Internet Bank. Smile has continued to lead the way ever since with a range of quality products and an impressive list of awards for its service, including six times winner of the Your Money ‘Best Internet Banking Provider’ Award.
Smile provides a comprehensive range of products, from current accounts and loans to credit cards and savings, all of which can be dealt with at a time and place that is suitable to its customers.
More than 300 high street branches
22 Corporate Banking Centres
Major presence in Manchester, Leek, London, Plymouth, Skelmersdale and Stockport
Niall Booker (Chief Executive - Banking Group)
The Co-operative Banking Group leadership team:
- John Hughes, Managing Director, Retail Bank
- Mark Summerfield, Managing Director, Insurance Division
- Julie Harding, HR Director
- Grahame McGirr, Interim Chief Risk Officer
- John Baines, Interim Chief Financial Officer
- Bruce Hope-MacLellan, Chief Operating Officer
- Rod Bulmer, Deputy Chief Executive of The Co-operative Banking Group and Executive Director - Core Bank
- Peter Coleman, Chief Information Officer
For general queries or for product and account information:
For general media enquiries please call 0161 767 4294 or contact a member of the Banking Group PR team
|Social media sites
- Smile was the first full internet bank in the UK, and is consistently ranked amongst the best in the industry
- The CIS tower in Manchester is clad in solar panels, making it the largest solar project in the UK
- The only UK bank to have a clear Ethical Policy which states where it will and will not invest its customers’ money
Key achievements / awards
- In 2013 rated best on the high street for customer service by Money Saving Expert.
- Multiple award winner in the uSwitch Customer Satisfaction Awards 2013 including “Most Trusted” and “Best Current Account Provider”
- Multiple award winner in the 2013 Moneywise Customer Service Awards including "Most trusted Current Account provider"
- Best financial services provider in 2012 Which? Awards
- 2012: celebrated 20 years of our Ethical Policy
- 2012: New Risk management framework developed
- 2011: Launched pioneering young driver insurance product
- 2009: Britannia becomes part of The Co-operative Banking Group
- 2005: The 25 storey Co-operative Banking Group head office is clad in solar panels, becoming Europe's largest vertical solar array
- 2000: CIS' first Social Accountability report is published
- 1999: The Bank launches smile, the first full internet bank
- 1992: The Bank becomes the first in the world to announce a customer led ethical stance
- 1974: The Bank becomes the first UK bank to offer free banking to those in credit
- 1962: Miller St Chief Office building opens in Manchester, as the tallest building in Europe