The Co-operative Food
As the UK’s fifth biggest food retailer, we provide our customers with quality and responsibly-sourced great-value foods. As well as supporting British farmers, we are committed to helping producers in the developing world through our long-standing commitment to Fairtrade.
With a food store in every UK postal area, we are the country’s leading community food retailer. With over 2,800 stores across the UK, we are at the heart of the communities in which we trade and we seek to play an active role in these areas by supporting local charities and good causes through our Community Fund.
Over 2,800 stores – one in every UK postal area
Steve Murrells (Chief Executive - Food)
The Co-operative Food leadership team:
- Chris Whitfield, Retail & Logistics Director
- Jane McCall, Transformation Director
- Steve Bailey, Director of Finance
- Steve Hammett, Customer Director
- Michael Fletcher, Trading Director
- Cheryl Marshall, Food CIO
- David Roberts, Director Estates Services
- Helen Webb, Food HR Director
- Jim Tully, General Counsel Retail
The Co-operative Group
Phone: 0800 068 6727
Lines are open 9am - 7pm, Monday to Friday.
Saturday and Sunday 9am - 5pm.
Calls may be monitored for quality standard purposes
For general media enquiries please call 0161 767 4294 or contact a member of the Food PR team
|Social media sites
The purpose of the Food business is “To provide our customers with delicious food conveniently” with a vision “To be the best local food retailer in the UK”.
- 5th largest food retailer in the UK
- Over 2,800 stores – one in every UK postal area
- 14.5m customers served per week
- 60% of UK customers shop at a Co-operative Food store over the year
- Market-leading policies in place to promote animal welfare and healthy eating
- We are the largest retailer to sell exclusively free range eggs.
- All our toilet rolls are FSC accredited – meaning we are helping to protect the world's rainforests
Key achievements / awards
- Convenience Store Pizza Retailer of the year at the Pizza, Pasta and Italian Food Association (PAPA) 2014 Awards
- Chilled Retailer of the Year 2014 at the Retail Industry Awards
- Green Transport Project of the Year award 2014 at the BusinessGreen Leaders Awards
- Environmental Sustainability Award 2012 at the IGD Food Industry Awards
- Green Retailer of the Year 2011
- In 2008 we conducted the world’s largest consumer poll on Food Ethics. 100,000 members gave us their backing and we launched our Food Ethical Policy
- In 2009 The Co-operative Group acquires Somerfield, adding over 800 outlets to the Food store portfolio.
- In 2003 The Co-operative switches all own-brand coffee to Fairtrade, which means an extra £1m each year is returned to coffee farmers in the developing world
- In 2001 The Co-operative becomes the first retailer to introduce Braille onto its own-brand range of medicines. We are also the first retailer to include Braille labels on some own-brand alcoholic drinks. The move coincided with the launch of our premium whisky and vodka in time for Christmas 2001.
- In 1998 The Co-operative stocks Fairtrade products in every food store – meaning it now stocks Fairtrade products in more outlets than any other retailer
- In 1995 first retailer to use front-of-pack nutrition labelling
- In 1985 we announced that no own-brand toiletries or household products, or their ingredients, would be tested on animals – even though the law allowed the practice to continue. The Co-operative co-sponsored a Private Member's Bill with the RSPCA to require more informative labelling for products tested on animals.