Apply to be a Member Nominated Director
There are 4 member nominated directors (MNDs) on the Co-op board.
Each year, 1 or more MNDs are elected by Co-op members through an election process that concludes at our 2019 annual general meeting (AGM).
In 2019, we’ll have 2 vacancies.
The deadline for nominations to be submitted for the 2019 MND elections is midday on Monday 17 December 2018.
MNDs bring the voice of ordinary members to the boardroom, they:
- help set the business strategy
- oversee commercial and financial performance
- ensure co-operative values and principles remain at the heart of our Co-op
- meet and listen to the views of members and the Co-op’s Members’ Council
- at the same as carrying out their fiduciary duties, they amplify our co-operative difference.
Who should apply?
Candidates need to meet both the eligibility and membership criteria.
The eligibility requirements are linked to skills, experience and empathy with co-operative values and principles.
The membership criteria include:
- having become a Co-op member before 3 January 2016
- accruing at least 1,000 trading points in the financial year to 5 January 2019
To check your length of membership and trading points earned, email us at email@example.com
Full details of both eligibility and membership criteria are set out in our guidance notes and supplementary information.
In exceptional circumstances the membership criteria may be waived. You can email the Council Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org, who can discuss this with you.
- an accomplished track record at an equivalent level in a substantial organisation
- awareness of the strategic and operational challenges of a business of the size and complexity of our Co-op
- to demonstrate an understanding of the needs of a business of the scale and complexity of our Co-op
- integrity, independence and empathy with our values and principles which can be evidenced in actions and behaviours
- the ability to contribute, at board level, on a range of commercial and financial issues
- to be able to develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with our Members’ Council
- experience of risk management and strategic engagement
- a commitment to best-in-class governance and oversight
Our Member Nominated Directors play an active role as part of our Board and in engaging with our Members’ Council and the time commitment for this role is 3-4 days a month.
The Board meets monthly in Manchester with occasional meetings at business locations.
The remuneration is commensurate with the roles and responsibilities.
The term of office is three years from the date of election
Next steps and supporting documents
These are the supporting documents and regulations that support the Member Nominated Director nomination process:
- Board Composition Charter (PDF, 11 pages, 84KB)
- Canvassing Code of Practice (PDF, 5 pages, 279KB)
- Membership Regulations (PDF, 6 pages, 146KB)
- MND Person Specification (PDF, 2 pages, 201KB)
- Co-op Group Rule Book - June 2018 (PDF 88 pages, 986KB)
- Member Nominated Director Election Regulations 2018 (PDF, 13 pages, 132KB)
If you’re shortlisted, in order to meet regulatory requirements, you’ll need to provide further information for background screening checks. Any appointment is subject to approval by the Solicitors' Regulation Authority.