Be a Co-op Member Nominated Director
Applications for our 2020 Member Nominated Director Elections are now closed.
There are four member nominated directors (MNDs) on the Co-op Board.
Each year, one or more MNDs are chosen by Co-op Members through an election process that concludes at our Annual General Meeting (AGM).
For 2020, we have one vacancy. The results of our 2020 MND Elections will be announced in May.
MNDs bring the voices of Co-op Members to the boardroom. To do this, they:
- help set our business strategy
- oversee commercial and financial performance
- ensure co-operative values and principles remain at the heart of our Co-op.
- meet with members and the Co-op’s Members’ Council to hear their views.
- amplify our co-op difference alongside carrying out their fiduciary duties.
Being a Co-op Member Nominated Director
Sarah McCarthy-Fry was elected to the Board as a Member Nominated Director in May 2019. Hear more from her below about the role of an MND, how she represents Co-op Members at the highest level of our business, and why Co-op has a better way of doing boardrooms.
Who can apply
Candidates need to meet both the eligibility and membership criteria.
The eligibility requirements are linked to skills, experience and empathy with co-operative values and principles.
The membership criteria includes:
- having been a Co-op Member for at least three years prior to submitting a nomination.
- accruing at least 1,000 trading points in the current financial year.
In exceptional circumstances, the membership criteria may be waived.
- an accomplished track record at an equivalent level in a substantial organisation.
- awareness of the strategic and operational challenges of a business of the size and complexity of our Co-op.
- to demonstrate an understanding of the needs of a business of the scale and complexity of our Co-op.
- integrity, independence and empathy with our values and principles, which can be evidenced in actions and behaviours.
- the ability to contribute, at board level, on a range of commercial and financial issues.
- to be able to develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with our Members’ Council.
- experience of risk management and strategic engagement
- a commitment to best-in-class governance and oversight
Our MNDs play an active role as part of our Board and in engaging with our Members’ Council; the time commitment for this role is 3-4 days a month. However, to be fully involved with the Co-op’s businesses and its Members’ Council, the time needed will be greater.
The Board meets monthly in Manchester, with occasional meetings at business locations.
The remuneration is commensurate with the roles and responsibilities.
The term of office is three years from the date of election.