Be part of a better way of doing boardrooms
Applications for our 2021 Member Nominated Director Election are now closed.
There are four member nominated directors (MNDs) on the Co-op Board.
Each year, one or more MNDs are chosen by Co-op Members through an election process that concludes at our Annual General Meeting (AGM).
For 2021, we have one seat up for election. Applications are now being reviewed and applicants will be contacted soon with information on next steps. Thank you to everyone who took the time to apply.
MNDs bring the voices of Co-op Members to the boardroom. To do this, they:
- help set our business strategy
- oversee commercial and financial performance
- ensure co-operative values and principles remain at the heart of our Co-op.
- meet with members and the Co-op’s Members’ Council to hear their views.
- amplify our co-op difference alongside carrying out their fiduciary duties.
Being a Co-op Member Nominated Director
Sarah McCarthy-Fry was recently elected to the Board as a Member Nominated Director. Hear more from her below about the role of an MND, how she represents Co-op Members at the highest level of our business, and why Co-op has a better way of doing boardrooms.
Who can apply?
Candidates need to meet both the eligibility and membership criteria.
The eligibility requirements are linked to skills, experience and empathy with co-operative values and principles.
The membership criteria includes:
- having been a Co-op Member for at least three years prior to submitting a nomination.
- accruing at least 1,000 trading points in the current financial year.
In exceptional circumstances, the membership criteria may be waived.
- an accomplished track record at an equivalent level in a substantial organisation.
- awareness of the strategic and operational challenges of a business of the size and complexity of our Co-op.
- to demonstrate an understanding of the needs of a business of the scale and complexity of our Co-op.
- integrity, independence and empathy with our values and principles, which can be evidenced in actions and behaviours.
- the ability to contribute, at board level, on a range of commercial and financial issues.
- to be able to develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with our Members’ Council.
- experience of risk management and strategic engagement
- a commitment to best-in-class governance and oversight
Our MNDs play an active role as part of our Board and in engaging with our Members’ Council; the time commitment for this role is 3-4 days a month. However, to be fully involved with the Co-op’s businesses and its Members’ Council, the time needed may be greater.
Due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, the Board currently meets 10 times a year via video conferencing. Prior to this, the Board was meeting 10 times a year in Manchester with occasional meetings at business locations.
The remuneration is commensurate with the roles and responsibilities.
The term of office is three years from the date of election.