Apply to be a Member Nominated Director
Nominations have now closed.
The deadline for nominations to be submitted for the 2018 MND elections was midday on Thursday 21 December 2017.
There are 4 Member Nominated Directors (MNDs) on the Co-op board.
Each year 2 MNDs are elected, or re-elected, by Co-op members at the annual general meeting (AGM).
MNDs bring the voice of ordinary members to the boardroom, they:
- help set the business strategy
- oversee commercial and financial performance
- ensure co-operative values and principles remain at the heart of our Co-op
- meet and listen to the views of members and the Co-op’s Members’ Council and
- at the same as carrying out their fiduciary duties, they amplify our co-operative difference
Who should apply
Candidates need to meet both the eligibility and membership criteria.
The eligibility requirements are linked to skills, experience and empathy with co-operative values and principles.
The membership criteria includes:
- having become a Co-op member before 5 January 2015
- accruing at least 1,000 trading points in the financial year to 6 January 2018
To check your length of membership and points earned, email email@example.com
Full details of both eligibility and membership criteria are set out in our guidance notes and supplementary information.
In exceptional circumstances the membership criteria may be waived. The Council Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org can discuss this with you.
- an accomplished track record at an equivalent level in a substantial organisation
- awareness of the strategic and operational challenges of a business of the size and complexity of the Co-op
- to demonstrate an understanding of the needs of a business of the scale and complexity of our Co-op
- integrity, independence and empathy with our values and principles which can be evidenced in actions and behaviours
- the ability to contribute, at board level, on a range of commercial and financial issues
- to be able to develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with our Members’ Council
- experience of risk management and strategic engagement
- a commitment to best-in-class governance and oversight
As Member Nominated Directors are fully involved with our businesses and our Members’ Council, the time commitment for this role is 3-4 days a month.
The Board meets monthly in Manchester with occasional meetings at business locations.
The remuneration is commensurate with the roles and responsibilities.
The term of office is two years from the date of election but this is currently under review and may, subject to approval of the Members’ Council and our members be increased to three years.
These are the supporting documents and regulations that support the Member Nominated Director nomination process:
If you’re shortlisted, in order to meet regulatory requirements, you’ll need to provide further information for background screening checks. Any appointment is subject to approval by the Solicitors' Regulation Authority.