Supporting communities to come together to Co-operate.
Co-operate Report 2020
Support for communities is embedded in our values and principles. It's what sets us apart. Now more than ever, we’re seeing a need and appetite for a more co-operative approach. One that addressed inequalities and finds new ways to tackle issues together through co-operation.
Our Community Plan
Insights from our Community Wellbeing Index, members, colleagues and causes has helped us understand what communities need and how we can have the greatest impact.
In 2020 we identified 3 interrelated community missions:
- Fair Access to Food - Building a sustainable approach to tackling food Insecurity within our communities
- Fair Access to Mental Wellbeing Support - Supporting our colleagues and our communities to access mental wellbeing support
- Fair Access to Education and Employment for young people - enabling young people to be heard, make a difference and access opportunities
Our achievements have been recognised by the Corporate Covid Comms Awards, who awarded us 'Best Community Initiative' for an organisation who has best adapted a community programme in response to Covid-19.
Helping communities to Co-operate across the UK
We're delivering our missions through our community assets and programmes.
We’re doubling what goes to local causes and community organisations, when our members shop with us.
The funds raised by our members will be split two ways:
- we’ll continue to support thousands of grassroots community causes through the Local Community Fund, where members can select which cause in their local community to support
- through the new Community Partnerships Fund creating lasting change on big issues we care about, targeting communities that need the extra help the most
We raised over £3m for Mind, SAMH and Inspire to fund new mental wellbeing services
There were 1,000 Member Pioneers and Member Pioneer Coordinators based in communities across the UK
90,000 Member Pioneer hours have been invested in UK communities
Member Pioneers make great things happen in our communities. They are the boots on the ground, working together with our Co-operate platform, other Co-op colleagues, members and local causes to bring our community plan to life and make our communities better places to work, play, live and learn.
We want to amplify the good things happening in local communities, making it easier to connect with others and get stuff done. Co-operate is our online platform that pulls together local events and activities to create one place for people to go to make things happen in their local community.
The Co-op Foundation
The Co-op Foundation is our charity. It helps people challenge inequality and co-operate for change so they can share a fairer future.
The Co-op Academies Trust provides an education based on co-operative values and principles for over 17,000 young people. It’s our Vision to provide fairer access to education as well as to inspire a new generation of high-achieving, ambitious, skilled and confident co-operators.
Colleague support for communities
We encourage all colleagues to play an active role in the community, whether volunteering through the Co-operate platform, running or participating in community projects, or taking part in social action.
26 Academy Schools in the Co-op Academies Trust (24 in 2019)
£15m given to over 4,500 local community projects in 2020
Over 183,000 visits to the Co-operate platform.