Become a Council Member
Applications for our 2021 Council Elections are now open...
Right now, we’re looking for new voices to join our National Members’ Council and help Co-op create a fairer world for everyone. It’s a really exciting opportunity, as our Members’ Council gets involved in all parts of Co-op life and has a responsibility to:
• Work with our Board and senior leaders to help them represent members’ interests.
• Make sure that we’re staying true to our values and principles
• Be a strong advocate for Co-op in the outside world – shout loudly and proudly about our achievements, work with your local community and get Co-op Members involved in shaping the Co-op they own.
How do our Council Members do this? They:
Our Members’ Council is made up of 100 people, including Co-op Members, colleague members and members from other co-op societies, and they come from all walks of life.
As a Council Member, you'll be paid £3,000 a year to be a voice for Co-op Members and champion a better way of doing things at the heart of our business. Currently, our Members' Council meets virtually to fulfil its roles and hear the latest from around our Co-op. When the government says it's safe to do so, we'll explore holding face-to-face meetings in Manchester again. Travel and expenses are covered and we can help with childcare and carer allowances too.
Take a look at where we have availability in our constituencies for 2021.
Does this sound like an opportunity for you?
Hear from some of our current Council Members as they bring the role to life.
Before you apply...
To become a Council Member, you need to have:
- Been a Co-op Member for three years prior to applying
- Earned at least 500 trading points in 2020 by spending across any of the following businesses: Co-op Food, Co-op Insurance, Co-op Funeralcare and Co-op Legal Services.
Become a Co-opted Council Member
Our Members' Council has up to seven seats allocated for co-option each year, helping us to represent our diverse communities. For 2021, we have three seats available and are keen to hear from minority ethnic and young members who can help us break down barriers and eliminate inequalities.
Interested? You need to have been a Co-op Member for 12 months prior to applying but don't need to have earned 500 trading points in 2020.
These documents provide more information about Co-op and our Members’ Council Elections.