A comment from Richard Lancaster, Managing Director at Co-op Funeralcare
14 September 2016
"We recognise that financing a funeral can be difficult and with a range of measures already launched, we remain focused on playing our part to tackle the issue of funeral affordability. In seeking to address this we reduced the cost of our most affordable funeral option by 7% earlier this year, saving families over £700 in comparison to average funeral costs.
"Further measures announced this year have seen us become the first business to sign Fair Funerals new pledge to tackle funeral poverty. We have also re-launched our funeral planning range, making it more accessible and affordable for families to budget gradually for funeral costs. We recognise that there's more to be done, and across the industry we have a responsibility to ensure that quality funerals remain both accessible and affordable."
Measures taken by the Co-op to date include:
Improves most affordable funeral option - the Simple Funeral - and reduces average costs by approximately 7% or £140
- Co-op Funeralcare re-launched its Simple Funeral to offer an improved funeral option at a reduced national price of £1995, exclusive of third party costs*.
- The move which reduces approximately 7% or £140 on average off the cost of a Simple Funeral, was the first in a series of measures from the nation’s leading funeral provider aimed at helping to tackle funeral affordability.
- In addition to reducing the cost of a Simple Funeral, the Co-op also improved the options it offers clients by introducing new measures including an enhanced coffin and extended hours of support for the bereaved.
First business to sign Fair Funerals’ new enhanced pledge to tackle funeral poverty
- The enhanced Fair Funerals Pledge goes above and beyond what was previously in place and requires funeral directors to help people find funerals within their budget by displaying the full price of affordable options both online and in their funeral homes. The pledge also calls for prices displayed to include average third party costs such as burial and cremation fees, a key component of overall funeral costs.
Relaunches range of funeral plans
- The range now includes the UK’s most affordable** national fully-guaranteed funeral plan, the Simple Funeral Plan, which is a new addition to the Co-op’s planning range and costs £2,995 inclusive of third party costs.
- Unlike other plans in the market, all Co-op’s set funeral plans fully cover all future funeral costs, including third party fees. These third party costs such as clergy fees, cremation charges, burial costs and doctors’ fees currently amount to £1,040 on average and have been rising year on year. By covering all essential funeral costs, the range helps to safeguard against rising costs, ensuring that bereaved families are not left having to find extra money for a funeral.
Notes to Editors:
If you would like further information on any of the above, please contact Lauren Hoult, Press and Media Relations Manager, via 07702 505626 or Lauren.email@example.com