The Co-operative launches Family Law Services
26 September 2012
The promises are contained in the Family Law Customer Charter which sets out the five customer focussed core standards that everyone using the service can expect.
The promises include fixed fees, a commitment to help clients reach the best possible outcome for themselves and their family, to handle all cases with sensitivity and jargon-free communications to ensure ease of understanding.
The Co-operative, which earlier this year became the first major consumer brand to be granted alternative business structure (ABS) status under the new Legal Services Act, will offer a comprehensive list of family law services which includes divorce, child protection, mediation and financial issues.
It will provide a national service through a convenient telephone-based service, as well as an option to meet face to face, based initially in London with plans to expand to encompass five regional hubs across England and Wales.
Martyn Wates, Deputy Group Chief Executive of The Co-operative Group, said: “As a trusted, ethical and approachable provider offering real value for money we intend to bring a refreshingly different approach to Family Law.
“At a time of major changes in Legal Aid, we believe it’s vital to make it as easy as possible for people to gain access to justice. We are doing this by providing an innovative approach that will appeal to those who are currently reluctant to access family law services.
“This move is a natural extension to the range of professional services we currently provide within The Co-operative which includes banking, pharmacy and Funeralcare. Our customers already receive market leading levels of service in these areas and our Legal Services business is following in the same vain.
”It is our vision to develop a family law service which will provide a reassuring and trusted option for consumers. These are challenging times for both consumer and the legal profession but we intend our new range of services to be easily accessible and affordable.”
The Co-operative Legal Services Family Law Charter
- No nasty surprises. We will provide a detailed, itemised quote before we start work. We provide a fixed fee service as standard, which won’t change later on.
- To help you reach the best possible outcome for you and your family, with the least possible distress for everyone.
- To treat you as an individual – we do not believe in a one size fits all approach and will work with you to find the solution which is right for you.
- No jargon. We will take time to understand your needs and provide clear explanations so you completely understand what’s going on every step of the way.
- To handle your case with sensitivity – our lawyers are experts in family law and have specialist training to ensure they can help you through whatever challenges you are facing.
The Co-operative Group is the UK’s largest mutual business, owned not by private shareholders but by over seven million consumers. It is the UK’s fifth biggest food retailer and a major financial services provider, operating The Co-operative Bank and The Co-operative Insurance. Among its other businesses are the number one funeral services provider, the third largest pharmacy chain and one of Britain’s largest farming operations. As well as having clear financial and operational objectives, the Group has also set out its social and sustainability goals in its groundbreaking Ethical Plan, which specifies over 50 commitments in these areas.
The Group operates 4,800 retail trading outlets, employs more than 100,000 people and has an annual turnover of more than £13bn. Further information is available at www.co-operative.coop